Monday 2 April 2012

Desdemona

Desdemona


"Wife of Othello, daughter of Barbantio(a Veteian senate).  Married Otheelo without her father's perission, going against his word.  Is now thought to be a whore and cheating wife."


Desdemona to Iago
2.1.21-23
"I am not merry, but I do beguile

The thing I am by seeming otherwise.

Come, how wouldst thou praise me?"
-- Desdemona is acting as though she is completely fine and not worried about anything, but in reality she is desperately worried about Othello's safety as she asks Iago what he thinks about her.


Desdemona to Emilia
3.4.21-25
"Believe me, I had rather have lost my purseFull of crusadoes. And but my noble MoorIs true of mind and made of no such basenessAs jealous creatures are, it were enoughTo put him to ill thinking"

– she has lost the handkerchief  that Othello gave to her and shes telling Emilia that she would have rather lost gold, but its okay because Othello is not jealous. In reality Othello has just been manipulated into think that his wife is cheating and he no longer trusts her because he is overwhelmed with jealousy.

...Literary Devices

Hasty Generalization: an assertion or conclusion drawn on insufficient evidence; jumping to conclusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment